Pages

Friday 14 December 2012

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Visit


Whilst on my trip to New York my fellow surface designers and I took a trip to visit the studio of the Brooklyn based surface designer Lotta Jansdotter. I found her studio to be situated in a very pleasant building which had beautiful natural wooden beams and the layout of the studio seemed really well thought out with having a place to present her products and around the corner her studio working space. It was interesting to see a working space being so open for everyone to see as it made the studio feel more homely and welcoming.

Her pattern designs included lots of shape and nature in them and had although all different designs had a charming link to them with the style of cut out shape and colours. All the designs were quite uplifting and pretty. Although Lotta wasn't at the studio as she was away at the time her assistant apologised for her absence and told us that she was really disappointed that she couldn't be there. We still gained a lot from the trip and her assistant was really friendly and told us as much as she could about Lotta and how she worked. She had shelves and shelves of books and tactile mood boards which was really inspiring to see as it shows how when finish my degree I will take the same work methods I have learnt and still use them in the design world. I was amazed at the range of products that Lotta had available with her designs on ranging from candles, cutlery, fabrics, wallpapers, cards, clothes, bags etc. This was also really inspiring to see as it showed me that you don't have to just stick to one particular field of products as you can really branch out onto different things with one particular design.

Another thing that I was really caught my eye about Lotta's studio was how her work was presented to customers. She had her products on shelves, hangers, on the walls, in baskets and on tables and a really cute display with a miniature bed and slippers which everyone was noticing. I saw this as a good opportunity to get some ideas for displaying my work in my final show for my final major project at the end of the year so I have noted some of the ideas below which I particularly liked as I thought they may suit my work and may look more into in the future:

  • straw baskets
  • shelves
  • frames
  • chairs
  • hooks for hanging bags on the walls

Overall I really enjoyed the trip to Lotta's studio and am very grateful that we had this opportunity to explore her working space so we could get an insight to what a professional designers studio is like, also I feel I learnt a lot from visiting and have taken away with me some thoughts and ideas which I hope to investigate and explore further in the future.

Some more photographs which I took of her work are below followed by a link to her fantastic website which is well worth a look.








No comments:

Post a Comment