Pages

Friday 14 December 2012

Thomas Hooper



The second artist who I have only recently discovered is a New York Brooklyn based artist named Thomas Hooper. I looked at his work as he creates the most breathtaking images using acrylic, ink and digital experiments that are very much geometrical and include lot's of interesting pattern in them. He is a tattoo designer who stated in an interview that he draws inspiration from nature and later looked at the repeat pattern of designers such at William Morris when he became interested in surface design like patterns and began to experiment in that field as well as his tattoo designs. I really admire how Thomas Hooper has kept his designs looking very abstract even though a lot of them are pattern repeats. His tattoo deigns are amazingly intricate and I have looked at them for inspiration and ideas with my work but I am most drawn to his first solo exhibition 'Origins of Solitude' which he stated the main influence was from Decalcomanias of Shuzo Takiguchi. "I had been working with and looking at decalcomanias for a while but upon seeing his work I was really moved. I subsequently used them as a starting point for this exhibition – the title Origins of Solitude comes from one of his pieces,Origin of Solitude, 1962." From looking at this work I have taken the idea of using texture and layering in my work which is something that I have been experimenting with on Photoshop. I am really pleased that I found this artist as he has inspired me a lot and lead me to look into tattoo artwork which is something that I have never even thought about looking at before for inspiration. Furthermore I feel there is a gritty texture like style to his work as his background look quite aged and messy, which is another thing which I have been experimenting with in my sketch books. I think his use of vintage frames really adds to this aged look he has created in his paintings and really compliment his designs. This is something that I am now considering and thinking about when presenting my work for my FMP, as I will be trying to find ways to display my work in the best possible way, whilst still wanting to fit in with any chosen themes of my work .


No comments:

Post a Comment