Pages

Monday 22 April 2013

Lord Whitney Brief

Just after Christmas our class was given a task of completing a brief by artists Lord Whitney. They came in for the day the brief us and I found it a really fun day which was very informative and helpful but also very enjoyable. They were really friendly and had some great advise and ideas. I took a lot at some of there work and was very impressed which it being really 3D, creative and entertaining. There brief was to make an illustration for a nonsense poem of a website which they gave us a link for. At first I was a bit apprehensive about this brief as I wasn't sure if my drawing skills were up to something like this as I have never illustrated a poem or story before. After looking on the website though I found the poems to be quite amusing and saw the fun side of the brief. I chose one about man building a ballon and looking at the moon, mainly because I have been looking at the sky and circular objects for my Major Project so I found it fitted in perfectly for me.

The poem I chose was:

There was an Old Man of the Hague,
Whose ideas were excessively vague,
He built a balloon,
To examine the moon,
That deluded Old Man of the Hague.

I drew a few balloons in my sketchbook and a moon to begin with (below) but I thought they needed a little bit more than just a black and white image...

So I scanned them into Photoshop and made a rotated pattern around a moon and scanned in some backgrounds and papers and layers them all up to create a more illustrative pattern design.


Final design below.


Overall I was quite pleased with the end result and it was nice to have a break from our Major Project work and fun to try something new and work in a way which I haven't before.

They very kindly sent me an email back with some really helpful feedback :
"Hi Lyndsay

Thanks for sending through your response to the Nonsense brief,

How did you find the project? We loved your piece. It was really well thought out and the pattern, colours and textures work great on it we were really impressed.

Thank you so much for taking part in the brief. We really enjoyed working with you all and really hope you got something valuable out of it.

Good luck with your work,

Bek and Amy."

No comments:

Post a Comment