Pages

Thursday 2 May 2013

Critical Reviews

Over our time completing our Major Project we have sometimes been required to bring in a recommendation of a movie, book and article, which we personally have found interesting and inspirational, to show to the class and share why we found it interesting. In the very last critical review I picked the film 'The Pursuit of Happiness' which stars Will Smith and his son. I picked this film because it is a story of courage and determination so I thought it was a good film to share. Will Smith plays a father and husband who have no money and are going through difficult times. He strives to work hard and has a set of machines that he spent all his money on in the past that he tries to sell to hospitals but as they are considered a luxury not many will buy them. He ends up with no money for his family so his wife leaves him and not soon after him and his son get evicted from their flat. With no money and no home Will Smith is determined to make a better life for him and his son so he puts all his effort and time into training for a new job. The whole time through the film he is teaching his son the rules of the pursuit of happiness but really he is aiming for it as well. It is an emotional film which focuses on the attitude of not giving up and hard work paying off in the end so I thought it was a good film to share with my class. 



I also took a book in that is called 'Wreck this Journal' by illustrator Keri Smith. The book tells you to do something different that is creative everyday and is overall really fun! I helps take your mind back to the simple ideas of 'mark making' and experimenting with all different mediums. I thought this was a good book to share with my class mates as it's arty so a lot of people may be more interested than a novel and secondly because it reminded me of when we did mark making in 1st year and I wanted to remind the class that this is still really important as it helps development and sometimes early experimental plays can be the best work as it's more free and lively. 


Overall I found the critical review discussions really helpful and I think there were some good suggestions made by my fellow classmates. I think its helped me with broadening my mind to the creative world and realising that it isn't just art that we can look at for inspiration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment