Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Portfolio Visit Number Three, Selina Campbell

My third visit was with jewellery maker Selina Campbell who was an ex student of the foundation course in Stockport College. She gave me some really good advise and spoke to me and Natalie for a long time which I thought was really nice of her as she was giving up her time for us. She was really enthusiastic about my work and gave me really useful feedback.

She said that my work looked fashion based and she could see the wild west prints on fabrics for fashion. She also said that my style reminded her of some designs in Urban Outfitters and that my work would fit in there which I was really pleased to hear because I look a lot to Urban Outfitters for inspiration. She said that she could see my style through my work and the way that I dressed linked with my style of work which I had never heard before and liked as it shows my interests are coming out into my work and that is what the Major Project is all about. She also said that she could see my work in the Northern Quarter and some of my designs were quite vintage looking which again was so refreshing to hear as it's a place I visit a lot. She suggested T- Shirt printing so I bought some T -Shirts after the visit whilst in Manchester so I could give that ago tomorrow. Furthermore she said that with my work having a particular style and being quite graphic like and quirky she could see quirky bands using it which I was over the moon to hear because album art work and band T - Shirt designs are a personal interest of mine which I have always wanted to explore but never really thought seriously about so hearing that my work would fit that market without trying to make it was brilliant!

As well as feed back on my work she also gave really good advise on the course and after it saying that we should ask as many questions as we can whilst completing our degree and find out about what we could do when we leave before we leave stating that 'planning' was the key to this. She also said that we should make the most of our time in the college and take full advantage of the facilities like the print room using it as much as we can to get the most out of our time left there. Furthermore she suggested working for free as it gets you contacts and makes friends in the creative industry which could later lead to job opportunities. She said we should try and get work experience and suggested asking around the craft centre for some placements and emailing people PDF's and questions. She gave us some contacts of people would could email for advise which I thought was really kind, thoughtful and constructive. I found showing Salina my work and chatting with her so helpful and constructive with her giving us so much advise that it was really informative. She also said that she would like an invite to our degree show so I will be sure to email her the dates.

Some of her stunning jewellery is below.





No comments:

Post a Comment