Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

London


I recently took a trip to London to visit The Surface Design show. During the second day of my stay there I took a trip to Camden Markets as i'd heard so much about them but never actually been. I surprisingly found it to be a great inspiration to the project which I am currently undergoing, as I found certain parts of it to have a real 'hippie vibe'. There were unique hippie/ ethnic stores packed with beautifully crafted patchwork bags & psychedelic style clothing. I found the peace sign to be quite common on a lot of these clothes & seeing these stores has inspired me to want to produce a piece of clothing made of unwanted old material to regenerate it into something new, in a traditional hippie style way! I could collect scraps of clothing or material & sew them together & then add detail to them like peace signs, birds or feathers to make them link into what I am currently looking at.




Although I couldn't take any pictures of the actual clothing (as it belonged to the stores) I have made a mental note & a few sketches to take inspiration from. I did manage to take some photo's of some of the interior of a different part of the markets which included really wacky & mind blowing sculptures along with multicoloured prints on the walls & brickwork. I found the walls & brick decorations to also be very inspiring to my current work as I have been experimenting with paint splattering & letting colours run into each other in a free way. It has therefore opened my mind to the different type of surfaces that you can apply this type of experiment to as a design to, in an everyday surface.





As I went down to The Stables part of the markets I also found this very inspiring as it was full of music & pictures of old bands as well as more traditional hippie style clothing. I also found the interior of the markets downstairs amazing as it looked like old vintage stables & was really breathtaking. There was also lots of incredible artwork on the walls that was made up of colourful funkadelic imaginative drawings. 





Overall I really enjoyed the Camden Markets I will definitely be adding a date in my schedule to return soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment